Thursday, December 1, 2016

"I want what he's got"

December 1, 2016


Three summers ago our youth were painting classrooms in a rural Guatemalan school. Peering over the cement wall was a neighbor boy, too young for school but extremely interested. Our students smiled and waved at him, but the language barrier and the tall wall kept him separated from us. 

As we were loading the bus to return to Antigua for the night, I climbed the stairs and was surprised to see the little boy behind me. He was pointing at my cross, a colorful wooden cross that our St. John's Chrismon group made for each of us before we left the states. We wore the crosses wherever we went. 

I let him take a close look, but that clearly wasn't enough. He wanted the cross. When I gave it to him he jumped off the bus and started running home, waving as the bus pulled out of sight. 

That little boy had spent all day observing this group of students. He saw their hard work, their friendship, their drive ... and he saw the crosses hanging around each of their necks. He wanted what we had. 

The cross has never been an exclusive gift. We didn't earn it and we sure don't deserve it. At Christmas we're reminded that the cross is made from the beams of a manger, holding a man, a Savior, whose arms are stretched wide for all. The cross was given for all. 

We're entering into a time of great celebration and gathering. Through it all, people will be peering over the wall of your life and looking carefully inside. Plenty of folks will be peering over the wall of our church. What will they see?

Pretty lights and beautiful decorations, to be sure, but I hope they see something more. I hope they see our love for God and for one another. I hope they'll see lives marked by generosity and selflessness., kindness and self-control. I hope they'll see saints/sinners who are bound by grace -- people who know they're not perfect but give thanks for having been forgiven. 

If that's what they see, don't be surprised if folks are standing at the door of the bus saying, "I want what you've got." At which time we'll smile and say, "It's already yours. Come and see."

May God's grace and peace rest upon you. I'll see you in church. 

Pastor Rhodes