Saturday, December 24, 2016

Christmas Eve 2016

Christmas Eve 2016

I'm currently sitting at Starbucks wrapping up my Christmas Eve sermon. It's an odd tradition these last few years, but I love watching people rush into the final hours of the shopping season. Most are picking up a drink on their way to a crowded store. The folks sitting to my left are from different towns but meeting for a quick gift exchange. A young dad and his two girls are across the way, almost certainly on their way to buy mommy's gift. 

Two of the baristas have Santa hats on, although I can only imagine that they're ready for this final rush to be over. A local pastor just walked in, already dressed for services later this afternoon (um, I'm not, by the way). 

In line for my coffee, I was browsing through the well-placed "stocking stuffers." The older lady in front of me began to offer her advice, although I didn't think anything would fit in Krista's stocking. She recommended a cute mug or an acrylic tumblr or the whole bean coffee, pulling reading glasses over her eyes to show me the difference between the varieties. Her family is arriving tomorrow and she was picking up a nice "holiday" blend. 

"They all think I'm losing my mind," she laughed, "but I can still be useful. We all need help every now and then." 

On her way out she walked over to say "Merry Christmas," smiled warmly at the little girls across the way, and whisked off into the final hours of this remarkably interesting time of year.

I should stop watching and put final touches to this sermon. But before I do, please let me extend Christmas greetings to you and yours today. May you be surrounded by the peace of Christ and the wonder of the shepherds. May the star of Bethlehem shine brightly in your path.

And may you, too, be greeted by angels-in-our-midst who want nothing more than to smile, share the warmth of the season, and serve as a reminder that "a Savior has been born for you." 

Merry Christmas! 

Pastor Rhodes