Wednesday, December 14, 2016

We Three Kings

December 14, 2016

We three kings: St. John's Kindergartners 
As I write this note I'm listening to our kids preparing for their annual Christmas program, which will be held this evening in the Faith Center. 

I remember marching into the fellowship hall of Lutheran Chapel Church in Gastonia sometime in the early 1970s, decked out in a blue bathrobe and jeweled crown kept throughout the year in the church's "Christmas pageant" closet. I seem to remember an arm wrestling match with Marty Lineberger in order to be the third king. He ended up as Joseph. Yuck. What 5 year old boy wanted to be married to Mary? 

As I told the story of Jesus' birth to our Kindergarten students this morning, it struck me that some of them may well have be hearing it for the very first time. They're young enough that that's certainly a possibility. I asked about their favorite part of the story and arms shot up: the donkey, the baby in a manger, the angels scaring the shepherds. "Ooo yeah," they all said.

What if we heard the story of Jesus' birth again for the first time. What would captivate us? What would draw us in? How would we begin to process it? You've heard this story 100s of times, no doubt. As you encounter it again this week, try to listen as if hearing for the first time. Allow yourself to be captured by the drama, the simplicity, and its utter beauty. I bet it will come alive for you in a wonderfully fresh and new way. 

Blessings to you and yours this Christmas. May you be surrounded by the peace of Christ and the glorious song of the angels. I'll see you in church. 

Pastor Rhodes