Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Ripping up the speech

This has been a politics-heavy week.

Final votes on the impeachment trial are due today. Monday was loaded with the Iowa caucuses and the drama of counting ballots (still not complete). Last night was the State of the Union, with the Speaker of the House ripping up the president's speech and the President refusing to shake her hand. 

That's a lot to process in three days!

If ten of us were to meet for lunch and talk about it all, I'm pretty sure we'd have ten different opinions. I HOPE we wouldn't end up in a food fight, but these days, well, you never know. Tensions are high, compromise is nearly non-existent, and kindness is nowhere to be seen.

Through this roaring sea of change, I find myself repeating a mantra I learned as a kid in Sunday School: "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forevermore" (Hebrews 13:8). As policies shift and tempers rise, I lean more and more into the sure and steady presence of Christ, a "peace that passes all understanding" (Philippians 4:7). As I become more and more distressed about the state of politics, hoping/waiting for an adult to enter the room, I remind myself that God's great desire is "that we might have life, and have it abundantly" (John 10:10).

I hope that you see your faith (and your church) as a counterbalance to the chaotic seas around us. That's why we gather in the early morning of the first day of the week -- so that your week might begin from a place of peace and rest, after having been reminded of God's great love for you and this world. We're fed simple gifts of bread and wine, we're forgiven of sins that weigh us down, and we're joined together with a much broader family of Christ. I'm so very thankful for that weekly rhythm. To be honest, I'm not sure how I'd get through the week without it.

This week we'll focus on being a "light to the world." We certainly need some light these days! I'll look forward to seeing you in church.