Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Pre-election thoughts

Pre-election thoughts | November 2, 2016

Have you ever stepped into a voting booth, still uncertain as to how you'll vote?
I'm not sure I'm at that place as of yet, but with each passing day/revelation, voting becomes more and more complicated, doesn't it?

This has been the most bizarre election cycle I've ever experienced. It's not uncommon for nearly 50% of the country to be disappointed in the outcome of a presidential election, but I've never experienced the distinct possibility that 50% of the country will be angry at the outcome. In fact, I'm sure that a large percentage of those who vote for the winning candidate will still be disappointed. When both candidates' "negatives" are larger than their "positives," that's not a good sign.
So what are we to do?

My prayers have been focused on November 9, the day after the election - that our country will find within itself a way to honor the winning candidate, no matter our political persuasion. I'm praying that a sense of civility will rain upon us. I'm praying that leaders will step up to the plate who are blessed with the spirit of reconciliation, are bound by time-honored principles, and understand the need for compromise.

And, yes, I'm praying that this crazy election cycle will be a watermark - a low point that encourages our citizens, political parties, and potential candidates to demand a better way.
Possible? Who knows. But this one thing I know: we are better than this. Our country deserves better than this. Our children deserve better than this. If we are to be the "shining light" we strive to be, then we better figure this thing out.

Let's start on November 9. May God bless us and guide us as we do just that. 
I'll see you in church.

Peace+
Pastor Rhodes